WinRAR is one of the most popular current archivers on the software market, and it is not occasionally. High level of scalability, a variety of functions and supported formats, picturesque and familiar interface – all of these features make this archiver the best product of its kind. The app with enriched history over the years have been moving from Windows to the most widely used operational systems and platforms, like Linux, Mac OS X and FreeBSD. Due to the identity of the program logic, if you learnt the basics of the program usage for one system, you will quickly get used to managing the archives on another platform, even if the control over the application is performed via the console or command line only. If you are willing to download free WinRAR version, address to the official project site.
What WinRAR is used for?
The main purpose of the tool is handling and managing the archives, - the compressed copies of the file objects, stored and being transferred from the hard disk. Why do you need to compress the files at all, if the ordinary view is quite comfortable to use as well? If the file is compressed, you may faster send it on e-mail, or copy it to another PC or mobile gadget. Also if you save old, rarely used copies of documents on the hard disk, after their compression they will occupy less such precious disk space, which is very important if your HDD capacity is not too large.
What abilities and functions does WinRAR possess?
The quantity of premium features in WinRAR is quite enough to satisfy the most demanding user. Among them are:
- a quite big variety of supported formats (the utility may open ZIP, RAR, ARJ, CAB, ACE, LZH, ISO, UUE, GZip, 7-Zip, Z and BZIP2 archives) and the possibility to fully use the new extra-fast and economical format RAR5, embedded into one of the latest WinRAR releases
- the selection of the compression methods: from the best, but taking a long time to operate, to the fastest, which compresses the files the least, but working faster than any another method
- the ability to split the files on several volumes, if the file doesn’t fit on the storage device: CD, DVD or BD. Instead, you may copy each of the parts onto distinct holder and then bring them altogether onto the ultimate storage device
- the function of creating self-extracting archives. The SFX-archives are in need, if on the target PC, where you transfer the archive, free WinRAR is not installed. Thus, you may simply receive the files from the archive via a routine, similar to installation process, without any additional software
- the protection of the password. Sure, each password can be broken, but the process of breaking the RAR archive can take up to several months of continuous brute-force attack
- the ability to recover the corrupted archive if an error is encountered during the extraction process.
What operational systems and platforms does WinRAR support?
As I told before, WinRAR supports the most popular desktop and server OS, like Windows, Linux, Mac OS and FreeBSD. The fact should be mentioned, that the GUI is provided only for Windows-build. As for the rest systems, the archives there are handled via the console interface.
Regarding the conclusion, in comparison with other tools for handling archival data, WinRAR is absolute way to go. The difference between WinRAR and such utilities, like ZipGenius or 7-Zip, is that the subject of today’s review provides much more features and configuration options. In addition, it is much faster in work, provides better compression ratio, and absorbs less system resources. The archiver will fit onto any user’s PC. Learning its basic and advanced features will take minimum time, - just install WinRAR archiver for free and enjoy its usage process.